Lung Cancer and Mesothelioma
Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in the United States. At the NYU Cancer Institute, our cancer specialists offer each patient personalized, informative care with unique, effective treatment options.
Our multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals-including surgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pulmonary medicine specialists, radiologists, and pathologists-meet weekly to discuss your condition, consider your lifestyle and needs, and create a personalized cancer care plan. We specialize in patients:
- interested in participating in a clinical trial
- under consideration for two or more concurrent therapies
- not eligible for surgical therapy due to limited pulmonary function
- with abnormalities of the chest (benign or malignant, diagnosed or suspected, local or regional)
- who have undergone surgery for malignancies of the chest within six weeks of being seen at the NYU Cancer Institute
Our minimally invasive surgery program incorporates video-assisted and "open-chest" techniques along with new methods for post-operative pain relief.
Research serves as an important part of NYU's commitment to furthering patient care. Our researchers are examining cellular activity during lung cancer and mesothelioma development. We are collaborating to develop new diagnostic and treatment modalities that can be evaluated in clinical trials. Through studies like these, we make clinically relevant "bench-to-bedside" discoveries, including those related to early detection, and develop targeted therapies. Every technique that we improve and each breakthrough that we achieve helps us accomplish our mission of providing the most compassionate, effective care.
Whether you are seeking a second opinion or are ready to start treatment, we encourage you to see one of our specialists to learn about your diagnostic and treatment options and make an informed decision about your care.