Breast cancer specialists at the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center offer each patient personalized, informative care with unique, effective treatment options. Our multidisciplinary team of specialists in medical oncology, surgery, radiation therapy, radiology, and pathology meets weekly to discuss your condition, consider your lifestyle and needs, and create a personalized cancer care plan.
Women with breast cancer receive outpatient care at the Perlmutter Cancer Center on East 34th in Manhattan. This state-of-the-art facility centralizes the latest innovations in cancer prevention, screening, diagnosis, treatment, genetic counseling, and support services in one pleasant, comfortable location.
The Bellevue Hospital Breast Clinic merges radiology, surgical oncology, medical oncology, radiation oncology, and psychosocial services with a clinical research program directed to minority women. It serves as a model for multidisciplinary, multi-ethnic cancer management, and a microcosm of global breast cancer problems-all in the middle of Manhattan. Many faculty experts collaborate to identify the specific barriers to diagnosis and treatment faced by the Bellevue Hospital population, and conduct research to develop innovative strategies to overcome these barriers.
Through our comprehensive clinical research program, we offer a variety of clinical trials assessing new approaches for diagnosing and treating breast cancer. Examples of areas of research include:
- Socio-cultural research to increase participation of minority and medically underserved women in breast cancer clinical trials
- Understanding how hormonal mechanisms affect the development and spread of breast cancer
- Breast cancer's potential to spread, develop new vessels, and invade other structures in the body
- Breast cancer immunity and the ability of breast tumors to escape surveillance by the immune system
- Effect of radiation therapy on breast tissue and potential improvements in delivery methods
- Identification of a new set of genes associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.
Perlmutter Cancer Center investigators bring diverse knowledge and perspective from 15 academic medical departments, including environmental medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, pharmacology, and radiation oncology. Our researchers have published many collaborative papers, opened numerous clinical trials, trained medical students and residents, and actively recruited minority women for breast cancer screening and prevention programs and clinical trials.
Whether you are seeking a second opinion or are ready to start treatment, we encourage you to see one of our specialists to learn about your diagnostic and treatment options and make an informed decision about your care.